- Orbit Law, PLLC in Seattle has a proven track record of successfully litigating political asylum cases in immigration courts. We have helped clients from Africa, South Asia, South & Central America obtain asylum in the United States.
Political Asylum Requirements
- U.S. immigration laws permit citizens of other countries to remain in the U.S. if the applicant can show past persecution or a well founded fear of future persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, and that the applicant is fearful of returning to his or country of citizenship.
Eligibility | Political Asylum
To further explain the requirements above, a list of factors which impact eligibility are listed below:
– Person must request political asylum at a port of entry (airport, seaport, border crossing) or file an application within one year of arriving in the U.S.
– Person may request asylum after one year, so long as conditions in their country have changed in the past year and those changes impacted asylum eligibility.
– In the case of certain circumstances which prevent the person from filing for political asylum within one year of arrival, the person may be excused from the one-year deadline.
Applying for Political Asylum
In addition to requesting asylum within one year of arrival to the U.S., as well as asking at a port of entry, other factors will impact the application procedure. Though denials of asylum are relatively seldom, failing to hold a scheduled appointment for interview without good cause is one reason for denial and deportation. See below for more information regarding the political asylum application procedure:
– The USCIS is required to conduct an interview for asylum within 60 days of the claim being filed.
– If the officer does not deem the claim grantable, the person will be referred for deportation to the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR).
– To request asylum, the person must fill out a USCIS Form I-589. The form does not require a fee.
– Asylum processing is often completed with 180 days after filing the request.
– The political asylum applicant should send their form to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over their place of residence. If the person has been placed before an Immigration Judge, they should file the form within the Immigration Court.